St Catherine’s Fort

St Catherine’s Fort is a Palmerston Fort located on St Catherine’s Island, West Wales.


The fort, which is just offshore from Tenby , was built on St Catherine’s Island in 1866. In 1867 work began clearing the site and constructing the slopes and cranes for the mammoth task of lifting solid granite blocks onto the island. The work was completed in 1870 but the guns and shields were not installed until 1886.

Door In 1907 the fort was decommissioned and sold to the Windsor Richards Family who converted it into a private house.

During World War II the fort was compulsory purchased, the house contents were auctioned by Harrods and an anti-aircraft battery was built in front of the fort.

After the war the fort was again decommissioned and sold into private hands.

In 1968 the fort was opened as a zoo, and in 1979 the zoo relocated to new premises leaving it empty.

Rusty Bridge

In May 2015, it was announced that Pembrokeshre Coast National Park had approved an application to reopen the site to the public, due to the economic benefit that it would bring to the area.


The site once re-opened will contain a nature walk, boat landings, commercial and catering outlets, in addition to restoration of the fort.

St Catherine's Island

Please follow and like us: