St George’s County Asylum

St Georges County Asylum opened in 1818, the asylum once housed nearly 1,000 patients and expands over 350 metres in length overlooking the town of Stafford in the West Midlands.

IMG_5510 Ward IMG_5530

The hospital shut its doors in 1995 and 145 long-term patients were re-located
The asylum was initially large enough for 120 patients but between 1879 and 1884 two extra wings were added. This included workshops and bakeries bringing capacity to under 1,000.
RoomChapel 1Chapel 2

Please follow and like us:
0