Severalls Hospital was a psychiatric hospital built in 1910, the 300-acre site housed some
2000 patients and was based on the “Echelon plan” – a specific arrangement of wards, offices and services within easy reach of each other by a network of interconnecting corridors.
Psychiatrists were free to experiment with new treatments on patients seemingly at will, using practices now considered unsuitable such as electro-convulsive therapy (ECT) and the use of frontal lobotomy. The use of these treatments peaked in the 1950s.
The hospital closed as a psychiatric hospital in the early 1990s following the closure of other psychiatric institutions. Since 1997 the remaining structures have changed little. Architecturally, the site remains an excellent example of a specific asylum plan despite nature slowly taking over the remains